School history

The History of Beauty Point Public School

Beauty Point Public School was established in 1951. It was originally an Infants School for children in K-2.

The original school buildings were shipped out from England especially for the development of the new school. They still stand in place today as our School Office, Music and Learning Support rooms.

In 1976 the school was renamed Beauty Point Public School with a primary third class established to meet growing needs of the local community Our School Hall was built in 1993 and completed in 1994. Our School Library was built with Commonwealth Government funding as part of the ‘Build the Education Revolution’ in 2011.

The NSW Government Inspector wrote in 1951: “The location is on a dream site. The school is built on the flat top of a hill, bounded on the seaward side by a danced in escarpment which obscures back-yards of dwellings. The buildings have an uninterrupted outlook upon Middle Harbour - one of the most beautiful seascapes of Sydney”.

Named for the harbour-front geographical feature, Beauty Point was a land estate, released in 1928 with defined boundaries: probably as few as 120 blocks of land. It was not originally a sub-suburb of Mosman! The estate adjoined the Pearl Bay Estate. Until the Beauty Point land release, there were no houses beyond the end of Medusa Street.

Before it was subdivided, Beauty Point was used as farmland which carried poultry, dairy cattle and goats. Dairy Farmers Cooperative Milk Company had the milk depot on the site of an old dairy in Central Avenue.

In 1957 the Government School Inspector wrote “One leaves this school assured that children are being given a wholesome, unstrained and valuable introduction to school life; and that sound foundations for future development are being laid through the conscientious and competent efforts of staff.”

And again in 1969, the Government School Inspector wrote: “This small, quiet, little school is providing something very worthwhile to the children who attend it. It possesses tone and serenity all of its own, which is lacking in the hurly-burly of the large infants departments.”

The image below is the first school photo of students at Beauty Point Public School (K-2) in 1951. Pictured with Rosa Fishman, Headmistress (left) and Wendy Wood, Teachers Assistant (right).

BPPS 1951

Since its inception, the principals of Beauty Point Public School have been:

1951-1955: Rosa Fishman

1956-1958: Hazel Hatch

1959-1975: Jean Butson

1975-1976: Neville Gardiner

1977-1981: John Paul

1982-1987: Janet King

1988-1999: David Chandler

2000-2002: Barbara Webb

2003-2009: Graham Phillips

2010-2019: Shanti Clements

2020-2023: Marion Walsh-Gay

2024-present: Trent Gardiner

Today, Beauty Point Public School remains one of the leading public schools in the area, known for its academic achievements, rich extracurricular offerings, and strong community ties. Its history is a testament to the dedication of staff, students, and families who have shaped the school over generations.

Did you know?

Our school logo was designed in 2001 by renowned Australian artist Ken Done who is a Beauty Point local!